Environment and Sustainablity
- NuGen’s Sustainability Report (July 2014 – July 2015)
NuGen recognises that its activities are undertaken in sensitive environments and is committed to sustainable and environmentally sound business practices. This Policy defines the way NuGen staff, secondees and contractors should act in undertaking day to day activities and the underlying attitude that should govern decisions that are made.
This policy applies to all employees, secondees and hired staff.
To secure low-carbon energy for the UK through safe, reliable and affordable production of electricity
In working towards this purpose, NuGen is committed to:
- Operating with environmental & sustainability considerations embedded in its business practices, procurement processes and decision making.
- Applying the principles of best practice, learning from NuGen’s own experience and that of others, and being creative and innovative in its approach to environmental & sustainability issues.
- Meeting regulatory requirements described in permits and exceeding expectations in relation to relevant standards and codes of practice.
For further information on our Environmental Permit click here
- Setting, report on and evaluate objectives and targets for environmental & sustainability performance on an annual basis by which progress can be measured.
- Ensuring adequate resources are available to monitor, maintain and improve environmental & sustainability performance.
- Ensuring NuGen staff is trained to support environmental & sustainability policy commitments.
- Minimising materials and energy used in our business, whilst reducing waste, preventing pollution and reusing and recycling materials to the extent that is economically and technically feasible.
- Applying best available techniques to processes and operations.
- Recognising the importance of the local biodiversity and conducting activities in such a way as to minimise impact as far as is reasonably practicable. NuGen want to encourage environmental projects in areas local to the proposed site and have launched the NuGen Green Grants Scheme. For further information click here
- Complying with company rules, regional, national and international standards, laws, regulations, agreements and industry guidelines related to the environment.
The NuGen Executive Committee is responsible for leading, developing and supporting a culture that promotes positive environmental & sustainability performance. The Director of Nuclear Operations is responsible for developing the principles and practices embedded in this Policy. All Managers are responsible for implementing the principles and practices embedded in this Policy. All personnel have responsibility for ensuring the appropriate environmental & sustainability performance of their work activities.
This policy will be reviewed on an annual basis and revised if required to ensure that it is current and relevant to all NuGen operations.